What is Eldergarden?
A special unit that has been remodeled and specifically designed to create a safe and calm environment for residents with Alzheimer's or other dementia. This is the only unit of its kind in Vernon County.
Where is Eldergarden?
Eldergarden is located on the first floor of Bethel Home which is in a rural community of Viroqua, WI. Eldergarden is close to the hospital, clinics and community facilities.
Who may benefit from Eldergarden?
- People with mild to moderate stages of Alzheimer's / Dementia
- Those able to respond to diversion or redirection
- Independently mobile individuals, including wheelchair mobility
- Adults with medical/physical/behavioral needs manageable within the unit
- What are some of the potential benefits to Eldergarden residents?
- Certified Dementia Care Specialists on staff and volunteers
- Reduced need for medication
- Improved appetite
- Reduced incontinence
- Increased enjoyment of lifelong activities
- Enhanced self esteem
- Family style dining
Why is Eldergarden special?
- Calm, relaxed, feeling of family/community
- Specially trained team of nursing and activity staff
- Chaplaincy services
- Individualized focus on activities of daily life for each resident
- What are some of the Eldergarden activities?
- Small group of similar interests
- Normal life activities, such as, setting the table and washing dishes
- Community outings
- Gardening, reminiscing
- Baking, music, exercise, games
- Intergenerational activities
How are Eldergarden residents selected?
- A team consisting of staff, family and medical provider discuss specific needs and abilities of potential residents
- Bethel Home Social Workers will assist you with the process